May 02, 2005

Two Week Notice

I gave my two week notice today.

Quite frankly, I expected my boss to wig out in the worst possible way: throwing his phone, smashing something into uselessness, ranting and raving until flecks of foam flew out of his mouth. I was quite pleasantly surprised when he took it in stride and was nice about it.

I still don't trust him.

Anyone who's been in on my planning will notice this comes at least a week early, and you're right it is. Initially I was going to give my notice in the middle of next week, so my final day would fall just before two scheduled vacation days (that I'd planned for my son). But a mid week ending didn't make any sense, so I bumped it up two days to Monday the 9th.

Then I got to thinking last night, the only reason I'd picked next Monday over this one was the fact that I'm on call this week. I was living under some delusion that I could not possibly be on call during my last two weeks, that I would become unproductive or somehow blamed for something breaking while I had the pager.

Yesterday I came to my senses and realized what total rubbish this is. I am all set for my move, getting a temporary job and going to school for my CDL. So why torture myself any further at this job, gladly accepting my manager's insanely long list of action items while pretending that I would be present for some future meeting or goal? Why not have a few spare weeks to get a decent evening/night job that works with my 6 week school, instead of rushing to prepare for night job and finish setting up the class all at once?

Most importantly are these two great questions: 1) Why not get on with my life? 2) Why not get some quality, worry-free sleep for a change?

6 Comments:

Blogger Rothar said...

sweet, thanks man!

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats dude. My lot has improved, but I think I am going to look for ops internally.

See ya in a few weeks.

J

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, technically when is your last day?

10:44 AM  
Blogger Rothar said...

Friday, May 13th - lol

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet...heck of a B-Day present to yourself. ;-)

J

8:07 AM  
Blogger Rothar said...

Definitely! This may be the single greatest birthday present of my entire life...certainly the best I've ever gifted to myself.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home