April 02, 2005

Another Coworker Gone

In the past few weeks my manager has been bugging me for data on what I've done for the past 5 1/2 years. He keeps saying he wants to put he in for a promotion to Tech II (which is long overdue).

In the past it was the other way around, I would have to bug him and he'd deflect me with one of his answers: "There's a pay & hiring freeze", "I'm looking into it", or "I've asked the question and have not received an answer."

Friday I finally understood his sudden willingness - one of my coworkers was fired!

Glenn has been here for 4 1/2 years, I've had a year seniority over him. He was a good technician who kept and maintained the cleanest county, Delaware county. He's done everything that the job required.

But true to form, my manager picked Glenn after chasing two other coworkers out over a year ago. First it was Nate, who had cronic lateness issues but had full custody of his daughter & an unreliable ex-wife (she was often late picking up their daughter or would simply not take her to school when she had custody). After that my manager started hammering Gordon, basically getting on him for not following up or handling things properly. When he left it was Glenn's turn, my manager followed the exact same pattern and started writing Glenn up for every little thing.

At one point Glenn even confronted Mike (the manager), of setting him up to be fired. He even pointed out that our manager had confided in Glenn when he was trying to fire Nate and Gordon! My manager flatly denied everything, saying he liked Glenn and wanted to keep him around. Everything's been quiet since then, all of a sudden Glenn's fired.

In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't be surprised. A few of my coworkers said the signs were there, but since everything's been cool lately this was the last thing they expected...especially on April Fool's Day!

It goes without saying that I can't wait to put in my notice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home