April 24, 2006

Boycott ExxonMobil

I've been fuming over rising gas prices for a while, especially lately when it seems the price has risen for no reason: we're not involved in a new war, there's been no natural disaster, and currently there's been no increase in demand.

The newspapers have either provided lame excuses why the price should go up (gasoline additive has been outlawed in several states, speculation over Iran's nuclear program has affected the price of a barrel of crude), or provided pipe dreams that the price will come down in mid-summer for no particular reason.

There've been many emails floating around about one day "gas-outs", but these don't work for two reasons: 1) we've all got to buy gas sometime, so if we don't buy any today that means we must buy it tomorrow or the next day; 2) the oil companies examine their profits over the course of a week, not a single day.

But during my recent trip up north to visit my son, I visually reaffirmed what I've always noticed...that Exxon stations (and Mobil, also Esso, since they're all part of the same company) consistently have the highest gas prices.

So this got me to thinking...why not boycott Exxon/Mobil/Esso stations? This way I can still buy my gas, I'll probably get it cheaper anyway, and (best of all) I'll be sticking it to company that's been reporting record quarterly profits ever since Hurricane Katrina!

BOYCOTT Exxon, Mobile, and Esso!!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Avoiding Exxon\Mobil stations will not help the situation. Even if a mass of people started going elsewhere, the prices at the alternate stations would go up to meet demand.

I do have a solution!! Buy Exxon\Mobil stock! This way if gas prices continue to rise, you will likely make an offsetting amount from your investment. Also, if you are an XOM stockholder, you can attend the XOM stockholder meetings and perhaps make your voice heard there!

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The profits these companies are making is obscene and have no just cause.

I personally do not like being beholden to another area of the world for 60% of our energy needs and am sick to death every time some radical sneezes, the gas price goes up because the press freaks out.

One stock holder is not going to make a difference in a stockholder meeting unless you own a serious amount of shares.

I have a solution too, if one can afford to invest in a oil giant (where's Teddy R and his big monopoly busting stick?), then surely a better choice would be to invest in technology and new energy sources. Buy a hybrid car, follow the Venezuelan example. "Buy Yellow, think Green." Ethanol.

And just in case anyone thinks I'm part of the green party or any left organization...think again. I'm simply fed up with getting gouged by gas companies and think that it's time we sent a real message.

Some of the automotive companies in the US are starting to respond to that vibe. I saw an ad from Ford last night announcing their Explorer hybrid. Yeah I know, it's still an SUV, but at least they're making an effort. I'd personally like to see a hybrid version of the mustang or a car that has style and doesn't look like some kind of insect.

my two cents.

J

11:26 AM  
Blogger Rothar said...

I'd have to agree with J. Buying stock in Exxon/Mobil is nice, but I don't really get a voice unless I have a controlling amount of shares, which means I'd have to have more money than God. If I had that much money, surely the price of gas wouldn't bother me anyway, I'd be more worried about the price of my umbrella drinks.

Boycotting Exxon/Mobil makes me feel better, bottom line.

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home