November 01, 2004

"May The Best Man Win"

Tomorrow is Election Day, so make sure you get out and vote. This looks to be a heated election, so make your vote count by picking your candidates carefully.

I just did my usual information gathering on all the candidates (not just the Presidential ones), this took an hour or so more than usual since none of my local papers had a voter's guide this time around. I guess all the attention is focused on the two big candidates, so the little and not-so-little guys lose out.

Now I've got my candidates picked: 4 Republican, 2 Democrat and 1 Libertarian. So even though I'm non-partisan, it's easy to see what kind of core beliefs I hold to.

I was really interested in a heated battle between a pair of local candidates for a U.S. House seat. One put out an ad about his opponent, accusing her of being supported by an organization funded by terrorists (moveon.org was featured in the spot, though I've also read that it may also have something to do with her courting the Irish/American vote despite the fact that she's Irish/American), as well as condoning the rape and torture of people (she's opposed to the Iraq war). You heard that right, a woman who approved of people being raped and tortured. This was an actual television ad, I shit you not!

When I checked out the web sites of both candidates, the truth became evident. Her site contained all sorts of data on her record, beliefs and intentions. Her opponent's site didn't have much to say about anything, at least nothing that was stated with any clarity. This level of mud slinging offends me so much that I almost just went ahead and voted for his opponent just out of spite, but managed to take some time and look at how they both felt about the issues.

Now is the time for all of us to speak our minds by voting. If you don't vote, then I don't want to hear you bitching after the election.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just voted.

Man what a mob scene! I stood in line in our little rinky dink voting area for 45 minutes. That's a record and an indicator of how hot this election really is.

I had more choices to make, but it was roughly the same break down. Couple of Rs, a couple of Ds, and an L.
Free and Independent voter, no partyliner here.

Whether one votes or not, I don't want to hear anyone bitchin' about anything (though voting does give you the right). This particular election has left an extremely foul stench in the air that is becoming more and more the trend.

I will just be happy when it's over...after all the lawyers finish hemming and hawing, that'll probably be February of 2005.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Rothar said...

I voted first thing this morning, within an hour of the polls opening in PA. It was actually fairly empty, there were more people milling about outside than there were voters.

I always see these well dressed guys (there were a few women this time) gabbing on cell phones just outside the voting area. I'm wondering, are they looking for the uncertain or feeble-looking? They leave me alone so I don't really care, it's just odd is all.

This election has been bitter indeed. Everyone I know is adamant over who one should vote for, one way or the other. I'll just be glad when it's over. Hopefully one of the candidates is man enough to concede this time...and mean it!

6:17 PM  
Blogger Rothar said...

Well, Bush clearly won and Kerry stepped down. This is good to see - a return to normalcy.

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to give Kerry credit, he was very eloquent in his concession speech and talking about unifying rather than living in the past and being bitter, and I think that Bush was equally gracious in his description of his opponent.

I am grateful that it is over.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home