September 27, 2004

Hail To The King Baby!

December 14th is the release date for the extended version of The Return Of The King, the third and final chapter of The Lord Of The Rings trilogy.

As my good friends know, I'm a very patient man when it comes to these type of DVD releases - I'd rather wait for the Special Edition or Director's Cut, as opposed to rushing out and buying the initial feature-light edition. I suppose the one exception to this was Kill Bill, I decided both movies were so good that I wouldn't miss whatever gets included in the (eventual) SE.

Anyway, as usual I dug up the goods on the aforementioned extended release, here's what they've added to The Return Of The King:

- Saruman laying waste to the Shire at the end, as happened in the original book. (For those of you not in the know, there's a bit of foreshadowing when Frodo gazes into the Elven pool in Fellowship Of The Ring)

- The Mouth of Sauron greets Aragorn and friends at the Black Gates. (For the uninitiated, this is a person and not a set of fiery lips.)

- Director Steve Jackson cameos as a pirate who gets shot by Legolas

- And for the ladies, a bit of romance between Faramir and Eowyn.

All told, we're talking 50 additional minutes here. I'm very pleased to see the Mouth of Sauron makes the final cut, and am very happy to see the Shire getting worked over...on some level this pleases me in the same way that watching an Ewok get blasted by an Imperial Scout Walker does.

Oh, and the Special Special Edition includes a miniature of Minas Tirith.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So...when does the special, special edition come out with all three extended versions? Or is that what you were eluding to?

J

8:58 AM  
Blogger Rothar said...

The "Special Special Edition" I was referring to was the Special Edition featuring a statue. Every LOTR DVD SE release has featured one...Fellowship had replicas of the two gigantic statues that the Fellowship sails past at the end of the first film, Two Towers had a statue of Gollum

(I still feel Two Towers should have come with the two towers, Sauron's and Saruman's, but someone opted out possible becuase they were uninteresting or to avoid any possible reference to the Twin Towers.)

I have no knowledge of a Mega Trilogy Pack.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home