February 22, 2009

Woefully Behind the Times

I'm convinced that HP stands for Hokey Printers. My last two DeskJets were complete flops: the first one had a breakdown after only a year or two, at which point I purchased a DeskJet 952C. When the color cartridge started to go I did what all mammals do and bought another one. But the colors where never right again, they were off (blue kept coming up as a faint green). Another cartridge, very similar if not the exact same problem.

Now that printer is gonna get the beat down, ala Office Space.

So I gots me a Canon MP240 - it was on sale, which is great, but it's also a scanner for added bonus!

I diligently follow the instructions for setup, when I get to the step that requires connection to your PC, but can't find the slot for it on the printer. Further inspection reveals a square USB port, 'Oh I've got some of those' I think to myself without missing a beat. But the cords I do have are for cameras and such, the connections are far too small for the one on this printer.

What, no more big, clunky printer cable. You mean that I can finally ditch that monstrosity? More importantly, when did this happen and why wasn't I informed?

4 Comments:

Blogger jruschme said...

Sounds like a standard USB 'B' jack. The ones from your camera are a mini-B.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Rothar said...

Thanks to my local Best Buy, I am now New Standard Compliant.

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the opposite problem. New computer with no printer port. Had to get a converter to plug in my old LaserJet 4P. Now my first print job always starts with a page that says "s1M".

- Jim

12:24 PM  
Blogger Rothar said...

Oh wow, new PC with no parallel port? What is this world coming to?

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home