October 11, 2007

Ringxiety

I just read this news article on phantom phone vibrations. I thought this was BLOG-worthy because of my own experiences.

Specifically, when I was working at Cellnet for over 5 years, I started getting this problem when I was wearing the on-call pager. I would feel it vibrate on my hip (whenever I wore it, that's how I had it set), but would check and most of the time it wouldn't have gone off. It was really weird, the sensation felt exactly like it had just gone off.

Even worse, as the tension level at the old job got worse, I'd hear the pager go off in the middle of the night, only to get up and find out that it hadn't gone off at all.

Both of these things happened more and more often, even when I wasn't wearing the on-call pager.

Now the interesting bit. I quit that job over 2 years ago. I did a complete life change; moved in with a friend and transitioned from a low-paying communications job to a high-paying "Big Rig" driving job.

For the first few months, the sensation continued, but I was able to laugh it off more and more. It quickly faded and now is forever gone...matter of fact, I'd completely forgotten about it until I read this news story!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I'm not sure if it should be a point of pride or a sad commentary on society's dependence on technology to the point of being reduced to a fetal position when they can't access all of their device features.

I mean is it really that vital to be yapping on a cell phone 24 x 7 or getting an email at 1:30 in the morning?

I suffer from the exact opposite reaction. I've become more an more anti-technology.

There has to be a balance.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Rothar said...

I'm somewhere in the middle. When I'm out-and-about, cell phone is usually on...though only for calls, not for texting (I have email for that!)

When at home, unless I'm making a long-distance phone call, celly is off.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home