December 02, 2005

I Got A Job...No, Really!

The last word from Britton was, "If you have another opportunity, take it until we call you."

I followed their advice, partially.

Yesterday I accepted a job at PittOhio, starting on Monday. It's local delivery 5 days a week, so I'm home every day and all weekend long.

Randy worked there before, the only reason he moved on is because he got a better opportunity (J.B. Hunt is less hours, more money). The people at PittOhio still remember him, they asked me to pass along that he should stop by once in a while.

The best thing about this job is that I'm not being "thrown to the wolves" by any stretch of the imagination. The first week is all orientation and training in the terminal. Then I drive a straight truck for 2 months (the first few days with a trainer), before graduating to a tractor/trailer (again with a trainer, this time for up to a month).

I was in the office all afternoon filling out paperwork. The phones were ringing and everyone was working, but they all had a good attitude and were joking around. No bad attitudes, throwing chairs or browbeating. There was some cussing, but hey that's to be expected!

2 Comments:

Blogger Rothar said...

Being home every night is definitely worth the search. If I hadn't lined something up by next week, I would have had to rely on Arrow, which is over the road for 2-3 weeks at a time. Still not bad, but I prefer this.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Rothar said...

The new job went well this week. My overall impression is that it seems like a good workplace. After a week on the dock I'm just very, very tired...and now I have to start my holiday shopping!

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home