November 28, 2005

Objects In Flux

The job at Britton doesn't seem to be paying off. I talked with the personnel director again this morning, he assures me that as soon as a truck comes out of the shop, I'm in...but that if something else comes up in the meantime, I should take it.

All sorts of scenarios are going through my head. Is he being honest? Is he jerking me around, because; a) he doesn't have a truck, b) doesn't know when it'll really become available, or c) doesn't really want to hire me, but isn't man enough to say so? I could go through this over and over, driving myself crazy, but something is happening here.

So now I feel like I'm starting over again. Today I called Path Truck Lines, they run flatbeds in the NY/NJ/PA area and their drivers are out for a day or two at most, home every weekend (with early Fridays, no less). They sound real optimistic, so I applied and will call back tomorrow.

I'll also call PittOhio, who wants me to interview. Their position is local delivery or line haul, which is either home daily or every other day.

Ryder would like to see me also, for their CVS account. This position comes with a lot of work, basically unloading an entire trailer every delivery...by hand. But it's home every day (it also happens to be night work), so it's local but back breaking.

Waiting in the wings I still have Xpress, which is home every weekend after 1 month on the road for training. Add to that list CFI (5 days out, similar training period), Werner (regional, 17+ days out but 6-8 weeks of training), and Arrow (regional, 3 weeks out, 3-4 weeks of training in Oklahoma).

Although I'm done with Papa John's, the manager said I can go back if I need the money, even if it's on a day-by-day basis. I'd rather not go back, but in a week or so I may have to if I don't have something permanent lined up. Personally, I'm going to see how Path Truck Lines and PittOhio shake out, then probably Xpress, and so on down the list.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rothar said...

So far everything's looking good with Path Truck Lines. I also got a call from BASS today, they were looking to hire me a month ago then backed down. Now they're offering a yard position that has some road time, which is not too shabby to start...and the pay's good.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to get a steady paycheck. So "log on" to the first one that offers you something good and be fussy later. ;) Not that you were being fussy, but you can't afford to be "dangled".

J

2:22 PM  
Blogger Rothar said...

You're absolutely right. I'm trying to get as many opportunities going as I can right now, and will take the first one that solidifies. I feel like I keep getting a carrot dangled in front of me, just to have it yanked away. So now my tactic is to find as many carrots as I can...one of them's gotta pan out!

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home