July 20, 2005

Triple Feature

Monday I met up with Brian and his brother Mike at Freehold Mall, where we saw a couple of movies. Later that evening Brian and I made the treck to Neshaminy Mall, where we met Pete and saw a third film.

Fantastic Four - This is a fun film, it's pretty good but not a big screen must-see. Human Tourch and The Thing are the best characters in the film, Reed Richards (Mr. Fantastic) is pretty boring but then again he's that way in the comics too. Invisible Woman was also a bit bland, but at least she was good to look at...when you could see her. Doom was cool, though he spent most of the film worried about his failing business empire or his own mutations. Still, it was a fun movie and a sequel would be welcome.

Batman Begins - Now this film kicks ass. Christian Bale nails the role as the new Batman, as well as the troubled millionaire who pretends to be a rich playboy. There is nothing over the top in this film, the technology and the villians are all conceivable. There is a lot of star power in this film: Liam Neeson is a member of the League of Shadows who trains Bruce Wayne in ninjitsu, Rutger Hauer is chief executive at Wayne Enterprises, Michael Caine plays Alfred the butler, and Gary Oldman does an exceptional job as Gordon. In my humble opinion, this is the best Batman film of all time, loads better even than the first one.

Land of the Dead - Great fun, old school zombie style. Though upon seeing it a second time, I can kinda see why this hasn't been a box office success like the Dawn of the Dead remake, 28 Days Later, or Shawn of the Dead; although it's well written, it may be a bit too well written. There's a lot more dialogue in this one and a few less scares, especially when compared to the older Romero films. For the zombie fan this is a definite must-see, but it'll be out of theatres by Friday so get it on video.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BATMAN: I maintain that if you take BURTON out of the process, you actually might get something decent.

I just may spend the money now. ;)

J

12:42 PM  
Blogger Rothar said...

The first one was good, unfortunately Burton got a little too weird in part 2. I mean come on, penguins with rockets? That's the kind of crap Adam West had to deal with.

I think the biggest improvement was getting Jerry Bruckheimer out of the picture. He's what ruined the last two.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First one was "okay". It set the tone for freakish neon sets and characters that I think were way darker and twisted than Kane intended.

However, this latest Batman was very refreshing. It kept a lot of the dark, but was dayglo bizarre geomerty that dogged the first ones. The settings were far more easy to immerse oneself for the movie experience.

Christian Bale did a commendable job as the dark knight and I think was far superior to Michael Keaton, a miscast if ever there was one. Bruce Wayne was disturbed, with reason, but I found this interpretation of how Wayne got to know the criminal element and how he dealt with his anger and frustration was much better handled than previously.

I enjoyed seeing Liam Neeson as Ra's (pronounced "Ray-sh" I believe and not Razz) Al Ghul.

I am hoping that with this success that they may rework the other films.

I'd like to see a return of Ra's, after all, he is a member of the League of Shadows and not everything you see can be believed. ;-)

J

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

However, this latest Batman was very refreshing. It kept a lot of the dark, but gone was day-glo bizarre geometry that dogged the first ones. The settings were far more easy to immerse oneself in for the movie experience.

Once again, I should get someone else to proof my posts before I make them. :-)

1:06 PM  
Blogger Rothar said...

LOL - Tell me about it! I've often posted a subject and edited it...even days later...when I found gross errors. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done with replies.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home