November 29, 2008

Keep Microsoft Out of the Search Business

True story: I've been trying to download Service Pack 3 for Windows XP. Yes, I realize this was released some time ago and admit that I'm more than a bit lazy. But every time I try to download it, the download fails.

It just doesn't fail, it fails with no explanation or error code. I've already gone through the FAQ, but without an error code it's a bit pointless. The FAQ did, however, bring to light certain issues, such as available free drive space, though I would think that 21GB is more than enough, even for Microsoft.

Then I noticed a handy search tool, that will search through their data library and give you articles that help.

Here are my results (note, this is after I simplified my search from 'service pack 3 download failure', at the suggestiong of the search tool):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find Solutions

Type a word or phrase to search for, and then click Search.

Type keywords here:

Select an operating system:

Select a category:

The following information has helped people troubleshoot problems reported to Microsoft Product Support. Conditions for using this information are in Microsoft's terms of use.

Results for: Windows XP - Software download failure Go to Knowledge Base articles

Sorry, no results were found that match the criteria you entered.

Search Tips:

1) Check your spelling. Are the words in your query spelled correctly?
2) Make your search more general. For example, instead of using a specific product name or operating system, select All operating systems or All categories.

2 Comments:

Blogger jruschme said...

Did you try the "network install" version of the service pack?

That should be the entire SP in a single big download.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Rothar said...

Hrmm. Not sure.

I've tried downloading it two ways. One was by clicking on the little 'widget' on the task bar, the shield that shows up when updates are available from Microsoft. Normally that thing works great, but when I try to get SP3 nothing happens, no matter how long I let the computer sit.

Then I've tried the Windows Update from the Start menu, at least there I get a 'download failed' message, though as you can see that's not much help.

I'll have to look more into the 'network install' option when I get the energy again...thanx!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home