April 01, 2007

House Hunting Bust

Well, I did my best and right now it's not good enough...for owning my own home, that is. While I am approved for a mortgage, let's just say that the amount lets me buy a house in the worst drug and crime infested neighborhoods. Call me cynical, but this doesn't sound like a great goal to shoot for!

So I'm going back to an apartment...back to where I used to live, to be exact. Just not the same building, so it's a shorter walk and I'll have a bit more privacy (2nd floor balcony instead of ground floor). I move in 2 weeks, on the 14th. It'll be good to be out on my own again.

2 Comments:

Blogger mithglin said...

Come to Flooooooorida! No vehical inspections, 500 per month mortgage, 800 per year property taxes, and our lovely weather that changes every 5 minutes!

Seriously, did you check out areas in PA? NJ sucks for home buying. I pay more in taxes on one property with a half acre there than I do on three properties with 1+ acre each here. I will never regret getting out. I hear my old neighborhood is getting rough with gangs and drugs. Down here is quiet. Must be because of the Castle Doctrine :)

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you looking: city, burbs, a bit in the country?

Property up here is really expensive. It's always less expensive down south as long as you're not in a place like Charleston, where homes are going for 500K +. If you wanted to live upstate and to the west, you can grab a 120 acre parcel with orchard and farm stand with a 9 room BRICK house for about $240K. However, the catch is what jobs are available.

Have you inquired about foreclosures?

NH doesn't have an income tax. ;) Our property taxes might bury you, depending on where you live.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home