December 21, 2006

The Beatles - Love

Yesterday I purchased a copy of The Beatles - Love.

This album was produced by longtime Beatle collaborator Sir George Martin and his son, with the full blessing of the Beatles, for a themed show by Circe du Sole. Basically, George Martin and his son went and used the original recordings to remix the old songs, using bits from other songs.

A purist would hate this album and probably should stay away.

Me, I'm digging it. I've always been a Beatles fan. This remix is a fresh new sound for the old hits, effectively bringing them into the 21st century.

Some of the songs are stripped down, as in the opening number Because. Others have lots of stuff going on in them, lots of samplings from other songs. But these are generally small things, one instrument or drum beat that's in the same time from another song. Get Back is the first track of this type, it's the second cut on the album and (like so many of the others) is well done.

One of my favorites has always been A Day In The Life, the lyrics are interesting and the song goes through some interesting changes, plus it's got a dramatic feel. But it's one of those songs that's so distinctive, it's hard to top or even tribute properly. Needless to say, it was one of the first numbers I checked out on this disk...and it absolutely rocks!

Other old favorites on this CD include Strawberry Fields Forever, Here Comes The Sun, Revolution, and While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Hell, the Ringo Starr-sung Octopus's Garden is included...and even that sounds damn good!

If you like the Beatles and aren't totally resistant to change, I suggest you give this a listen at one of the bookstores (they have little music machines where you can scan and sample CDs).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cirque du Soliel "Circus of the Sun" has been advertising this. It's probably very interesting, though sometimes I find their acts just weird. I love the Simpson's take on it and when a storm blows in, Homer stands up and shakes his fist, "I paid a lot of money to have my inner child nurished [toward the ringmaster]Nouriiiisssssh iiiiiiitt!"

You'll have to bring it up with you. I'm willing to give it a listen as a "purist".

J

12:38 PM  
Blogger Rothar said...

Done. Just remind me and we can spin this disc. I'm curious to see what someone else thinks.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Rothar said...

Damn, I had the album in my car the whole time, just forgot about it.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home