August 19, 2005

Truck Drivin' Man

It's been back to school since Wednesday. Before our instructor went out on vacation, we did some shifting and I had a little trouble there.

Wednesday our instructor, Tony, drove us to an industrial park in Pennsauken. There we took turns driving around and shifting. I found that it came easier to me now, by the end of my turn behind the wheel Tony had me downshifting.

Thursday was a real challenge. Tony said we were going out to the same place, but this time I was driving out. "You're ready" as he put it.

I no sooner left the parking lot and was just getting ready to downshift before an off road construction zone, when a flagman jumped out from behind a bush and signaled for all traffic to stop. I stopped the truck no problem, a bit of a skid from the back wheels for a moment...but must have done everything right, because Tony was yelling at the flagman and not at me! Otherwise, the drive went without incident, matter of fact I was downshifting a lot easier.

Today it was my turn to drive back from the industrial park. At this point I'm finding that shifting and downshifting are no problem, now I'm learning to judge whether green lights are about to turn red. We did all this in the rain (it poured all afternoon). I had to stop quickly on a couple of lights where the instructor said he would have gone through, but at no time was the truck in danger.

Each day it's getting easier and I'm picking up on new things. Maybe this is because I've driven big vehicles before (deuce-and-a-halfs, half tons, and straight flatbeds). But the bottom line is that I'm lovin' it!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky man. I'm still working on my escape plan.

J

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW: great to hear everything is going well. How much longer before you are a "trucker"? ;)

7:35 AM  
Blogger Rothar said...

J - Hang in there and work on your escape plan...we'll talk more offline (I've been meaning to call anyway).

Class ends September 9th. Our road test is on October 4th, so we're regrouping the day before for one last practice. So once I pass the driving test on the 4th, I'll be a "trucker"!

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, you know where to find me. :)

J

7:07 AM  
Blogger Rothar said...

This is getting easier and easier. Each day Tony picks when I drive, so he can give me the most challenging tasks. Yesterday I drove throughout downtown Atlantic City.

At this point he pretty much just sits there and gives me directions or pointers. He only rarely has to correct my driving.

J - I'm working the next few nights, so I'll try to call this weekend.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey R,

Send me an email and I'll give you my weekend schedule so you know when I'll be around.

J

10:01 AM  
Blogger Rothar said...

While the easy answer would be "a little bit of both", I'd have to say that I enjoy driving the truck. I've always enjoyed driving all sorts of vehicles.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home