August 06, 2005

Class Going Well

So far the CDL class is going real well. Last Tuesday we all took our written tests at the DMV (or whatever the hell it's called now in NJ), I passed the exams for all the endorsements no problem.

The rest of this week we practiced straight line backing and angle docking (backing into a straight dock from a 45 degree angle), both of which are part of the physical exam. Straight backing is no problem whatsoever, the angle dock took me a while but now I feel like I've got it down...a little more practice and I'll be rock solid.

Friday afternoon we took turns shifting, which is a bit weird. For one, this truck has a switch on the knob, so you only have to move the knob 5 times (the other half of the time you're just moving the switch). The hard part for me is not depressing the clutch in all the way, like you do in a car. Considering we only went for 15 minutes each and by that time I was getting it into 5th gear, a little more practice and I should have it down pat.

Next week we're off, the instructor goes on vacation. After that, a little more backing & shifting the it's all road time.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool. My brother is thinking about going for a CDL-A. So we'll see how that works out.

I am thinking about going into radiology. Suffering a 30 somthing crisis and want to shift gears.

UI and IT suck. ;-P Probably not the actually fields, just the people I'm currently surrounded by. I need a change of scenery.

J

9:06 AM  
Blogger Rothar said...

"Right turn, Clyde." Oops, wrong movie!

D is thinking about getting a CDL? I'll have to give him a buzz.

I hear ya J, my situation was very similar to yours; the job itself was great, the interpersonal work environment sucked. And let's face it, there's no worse feeling than putting your blood, sweat and tears into a job only to be held back for promotion.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention the missed promotion thing... *grumble*

D is up visiting so he's a little tough to get a hold of. He and Miss J are staying with the parental units. I think he'll be here until Sunday if'n ya want to give a beller.

J

10:12 AM  
Blogger Rothar said...

Sweet! :-)

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home